Lesson 00: General Requirements for PSoC Laboratories
You will lean the Cypress advanced microcontroller — Programmable System-on-Chip (PSoC) in this session. PSoC chips include a CPU core, mixed-signal arrays, configurable analog and digital blocks, and programmable routing and interconnect. The configurable blocks in a PSoC are the biggest difference form other microcontrollers.
Cypress PSoC has five different families of devices, each based around a different microcontroller core:
- PSoC 1 — CY8C2xxx series — Cypress M8C core
- PSoC 3 — CY8C3xxx series — 8051 core
- PSoC 4 — CY8C4xxx series — ARM Cortex-M0 core
- PSoC 5/5LP — CY8C5xxx series — ARM Cortex-M3 core
- PSoC 6 — CY8C6xxx series — Dual ARM Cortex-M4 and ARM Cortex-M0+ cores
In the PSoC Lab, you have to purchase a Cypress PSoC 5LP development board, some sensor components, and install PSoC Creator IDE software on your PC (or Laptop) that have USB interface and running on Microsoft Windows 7/10 64-bit platform. I recommend you to have oneand/or USB HUB that has an external power source in order to provide enough current to the whole embedded system.
You must have a Cypress PSoC 5LP development board and other sensors. There are some development boards that are based on Cypress PSoC 5LP microcontroller:
- EagleSoC Development Board : RobotSoC
- EagleSoC Mini Board : RobotSoC
- Cypress CY8CKIT-059 Prototyping Kit : Cypress, Mouser
- Cypress CY8CKIT-050 PSoC 5LP Development Kit : Cypress
- Cypress CY8CKIT-001 PSoC Development Kit : Cypress
- FreeSoC2 Development Board - PSoC5LP : Sparkfun
PSoC 5LP Development Board
Cypress PSoC 5LP is a powerful microcontroller. It is based on ARM Cortex-M3 32-bit core that can be running on maximum 80MHz. For this PSoC Lab, you can purchase Cypress CY8CKIT-059 Prototyping Kit. It is inexpensive board than others, but does not support all of the PSoC 5LP functions. If you need fully function supported, or you design a mixed-signals system, you need to consider to use EagleSoC boards, or Cypress CY8CKIT-050 development Kit.